Gbajabiamila is unaware of threats to override Buhari decision on electoral bill

Naijablog

Naijablog

Local time
Today 7:48 AM
NaijaCash
Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila has said that he is unaware of any threat to override President Buhari's decision on the electoral bill. Recall that President Buhari declined assent to the electoral bill over insertion of direct primaries for political parties. He maintained that it “violates the spirit of democracy” among other things. Gbajabiamila who visited President Buhari at the presidential villa in Abuja on Friday night, reacted to report of senators collecting signatures to override Buhari's decision while addressing state house correspondents. Claiming that he is unaware of such move, the speaker however said the President's refusal to grant assent to the electoral bill will be first on the agenda when lawmakers resume sitting in January 2022. Gbajabiamila said; “I’m not aware of any such threats to override the president’s decision; at least not in my chambers. We’re on a break right now. So, the collection of signatures is not something that is done when everybody’s scattered.“I made it abundantly clear at our last sitting that we will look at the president’s veto and his reasons when we come back on. It’s not something we’re going to do on a knee jerk.“When we come back from our recess — there’s still ample time — we will decide one way or the other. We will do what is right for the Nigerian people.“I made it very clear that we’re not going to throw away the baby with the bathwater. The electoral law is what a credible electoral process needs and laws are what are required at this time. Nigerians want it and Nigerians will get it.“By the time we come back, at least as far as the house and I’m sure the senate as well is concerned, it will be the first thing on our agenda — the very week we come back from recess.”The post Im unaware of threats to override Buharis decision on electoral bill - Gbajabiamila appeared first on Linda Ikeji Blog.

Continue reading...