Leadership Crisis: Obaseki’s Struggles to Reassure a Fractured PDP Camp Before Crucial Election

Panic Grips Obaseki's PDP Camp Ahead of September 21 Governorship Election

With the September 21 state governorship election fast approaching, anxiety within the camp of incumbent Governor Godwin Obaseki is intensifying. Reports of growing panic within the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) faction supporting Obaseki are spreading, and it has emerged that key figures in his inner circle have unsuccessfully attempted to meet with the governor to address their concerns.

A reliable source, who is part of the governor’s inner caucus, expressed dismay at the current situation just weeks before the election. The source, speaking on condition of anonymity due to fear of repercussions, admitted to reconsidering his support for both Obaseki and Asuen Ighodalo, the governor’s chosen successor and the PDP’s candidate.

Reflecting on their failed attempts to discuss the issue with Obaseki, the source stated, "I’m completely fed up with what’s going on. Not only is the party hemorrhaging support, but His Excellency (Obaseki) is not doing anything to improve the situation. We can’t even get access to him."

He continued, "Despite everything we’ve heard and seen, several of us have tried to meet with His Excellency to clarify things, provide reassurance, and restore some confidence as we head into this crucial election. But so far, our efforts have been completely rebuffed. I may have to reconsider my position and my support for the PDP-Obaseki camp, and I will make my decision public within the next two weeks after consulting with my supporters."

The source added that his supporters in Edo South have been asking questions that he cannot answer without risking his credibility. "I can’t deceive them; it would cost me my hard-earned respect and support. Let’s wait and see. By the next two weeks, I’ll make my position clear."

Further investigations revealed that the sentiment among the dwindling number of PDP loyalists in Obaseki’s camp is similar, with many expressing deep concern about the numerous challenges facing the party.

"I’m not comfortable with the situation right now. Not many are willing to speak out, but it’s very worrisome," said another party leader.

• Tags
    obaseki
  • Richest Naijafans User

Most NaijaCash

Naijafans
    Naijafans
    11,077 NaijaCash
    Streetot
    Streetot
    2,844 NaijaCash
    N
    NL SOFT