Super Eagles – What next after AFCON 2021 exit?

Naijafans

Naijafans

Administrator
Staff member
Local time
Today 4:54 PM
NaijaCash
Super Eagles – What next?

The exit of the Super Eagles from AFCON 2021 has surely been painful... but....

Last Sunday was the day Nigeria turned her back on a failed past that must be forgotten quickly, and began a new future based on the glimpses of hope that every Nigerian saw and celebrated in the first three matches the Super Eagles played at AFCON...

True, .....the Super Eagles stumbled. But they needed to stumble....inorder to be woken up from premature celebrations, complacency and the forgetfulness of where the country’s football was coming from ...that would have halted the country during the bigger challenge just ahead – qualifying for the World Cup..

The truth may be hurtful,.... but the evidence is very clear - Nigerian football had been on a downward spiral these past many years,.....manifested in the national team.

You do not recover from such depths without passing through the crucible of fire. You don’t just wake up one day and everything is back to the good old days. Nothing in life happens that way. There must be a price to pay for the decadence of the past.

......With the ‘failure’ at AFCON 2021, the future of the Super Eagles has never been more certain than now. Nigeria has turned back from the precipice of disaster.

Two days ago, I read a report that the Minister of Sports, Chief Sunday Dare, feted the Super Eagles to breakfast where he delivered a speech that lifted the dampened spirit and gloom of the players.

It was the best piece of news for me in the aftermath of the loss to Tunisia.....
.....reminding me of chapters in my own life,....experiences and lessons from the past that are neither taught in the classroom, nor sold in the market place..... invaluable guides into how to deal with seeming ‘failures’ at critical times in sports.

My team lost a match and we were all 'rewarded' with the gift of a car each.....!

My team got to the finals of a continental Cup, lost, and we were all sacked.

Two different reactions to similar events that produced two completely different results......

So, I am relieved by the action of Chief Sunday Dare........I urge all to read his 'love letter' to Nigerians. It is a masterpiece on how to lift a waning spirit.

Go out this morning and get a copy of today's edition of any one of Complete Sports, the Guardian and Vanguard newspapers and read the full version of the above.

Or pay a visit to my website around noon by clicking on https://mathematical7.com/m7/?p=3051.

Read it, and then be free to share, hashtag, follow, copy, paste, in short, do any of those things that computer-savvy people do to spread good news.

What you should not do, however, is 'nothing'!

Segun Odegbami

• Tags
    segun odegbami super eagle
  • Richest Naijafans User

Most NaijaCash

Naijafans
    Naijafans
    10,729 NaijaCash
    N
    NL SOFT
    2,593 NaijaCash
    SACHSTOSHI