US cinema chain that owns Odeon now accept bitcoin for movie ticket

Delicious

Delicious

Local time
Today 1:17 PM
NaijaCash
IMAGE SOURCEGETTY IMAGES

image captionAMC has 620 cinemas in the US, and 358 in Europe
AMC, the US cinema chain that owns Odeon, says it will allow customers to pay for movie tickets and concessions in Bitcoin by the end of the year.
Boss Adam Aron said it has been exploring the technology and "how else AMC can participate in this new burgeoning cryptocurrency universe".
The firm, which is the largest US cinema chain, has not said whether it will apply to its cinemas in Europe.
Bitcoin has seen wild price swings in recent weeks.
The highly-speculative cryptocurrency was trading at about $45,000 (£32,500) on Tuesday, after falling below $30,000 last month.
However, an increasing number of businesses have begun to accept it as payment as it goes mainstream, including US mobile operator AT&T, Microsoft and Wikipedia.

"I've had to learn more in the past six months about blockchain and cryptocurrency than I learned about it in the entire decade before that," Mr Aron, 66, told journalists on a conference call.
"This increased knowledge has given me the confidence to tell you all today that AMC is hereby formally announcing... that by year's end we will have the information technology systems in place to accept Bitcoin."

• Tags
    at&t bitcoin microsoft and wikipedia odeon us cinema
  • Richest Naijafans User

Most NaijaCash

Naijafans
    Naijafans
    9,871 NaijaCash
    N
    NL SOFT
    2,593 NaijaCash
    SACHSTOSHI
    SACHSTOSHI