Newnew App, The app that lets you control another person's life

Naijablog

Naijablog

Local time
Today 12:51 PM
NaijaCash
How would you feel about being able to pay to control multiple aspects of another person's life? A new app is offering you the chance to do just that.
When writer Brandon Wong recently couldn't decide what takeaway to order one evening, he asked his followers on social media app NewNew to choose for him.
Those that wanted to get involved in the 24-year-old's dinner dilemma paid $5 (£3.50) to vote in a poll, and the majority verdict was that he should go for Korean food, so that was what he bought.
"I couldn't decide between Chinese or Korean, so it was very helpful," says Mr Wong, who lives in Edmonton, Canada. "I have also used NewNew polls to decide what clothes I should wear that day, and lots of other personal stuff.
"I joined back in March, and I post [polls] three or four times a week. I've now had more than 1,700 total votes."
NewNew is the brainchild of Los Angeles-based entrepreneur Courtne Smith. The app, which is still in its "beta" or pre-full release stage, describes itself as "a human stock market where you buy shares in the lives of real people, in order to control their decisions and watch the outcome".
1624127664563.png
NewNew is run by entrepreneur Courtne Smith, who spent the past two years developing the idea

For many of us that sounds a bit ominous, but the reality is actually far less alarming. It is aimed at what it calls "creators" - writers, painters, musicians, fashion designers, bloggers etc.
It is designed as a way for them to connect far more closely with their fans or followers than on other social media services and, importantly, monetise that connection.
When a so-called creator sets up a NewNew account and attracts followers, he or she is encouraged to ask them via video clips to vote on aspects of both their work and personal life.
Mr Wong, who writes fiction on the Wattpad website and app, has also used NewNew votes to decide on what genre to write about next, plus character names and plot developments.
Whenever a vote is cast the creator gets the money minus NewNew's undisclosed commission.
The creator sets the question and a choice of two answers. Their followers get to vote, and can pay to do so as many times as they like. They don't get their money back, regardless of which way the result goes.

In addition to voting, followers can also pay extra - from $20 - to ask a NewNew creator to do something of their choosing, such as naming a character in a book after them. But the creator can reject all of these "bids", and if they do so then the follower doesn't have to part with the money.
IMAGE COPYRIGHTNEWNEW
image captionThe creators post their polls via video clips
While other apps such as Wishbone ask members of the public to vote on things, NewNew says that what it offers - the chance to pay to vote on aspects of a person's work and personal life - is unique.
But will NewNew, which only launched two months ago and currently has fewer than 100 creators on board, have mass appeal? Social media expert Matt Navarra says he isn't sure.
"NewNew feels a bit like if TikTok met reality TV hit Big Brother and they had a baby, and both of those were phenomenally popular," he says.
"However, it feels a little bit gimmicky, and I wonder if the novelty value will be short-lived. Yet if choosing what outfit a stranger wears gives Generation Z a buzz then it could be on to something."

• Tags
    courtne smith newnew app the app control another person's life tiktok
  • Richest Naijafans User

Most NaijaCash

Naijafans
    Naijafans
    9,871 NaijaCash
    N
    NL SOFT
    2,593 NaijaCash
    SACHSTOSHI
    SACHSTOSHI